The history of Covenant Presbyterian Church began in the late 1940s and early ‘50s. Following World War II, the west side of Spartanburg experienced a time of development and an influx of young “Baby Boomer” families. Interested members of First Presbyterian and Second Presbyterian Churches began serious planning for a new church to serve this area.
Their continued interest led to the purchase of a two-acre site which was then in what seemed to be the country, at the corner of Greenville Highway and Tanglewylde Drive, west of the heart of town.
In October 1953 a meeting was called at First Presbyterian Church for those who were interested in moving forward to the establishment of a new church. Dr. Clyde Foushee, pastor of Second Presbyterian, and the Reverend J. Trent Howell, Jr., assistant pastor of First Presbyterian, met with those who were interested. On April 1, 1954, the church was officially organized by a Commission from the former Enoree Presbytery. There were 90 charter members by April 4, 1954. The congregation called the Reverend E. Gil Clary, Jr., as its first full-time pastor and he preached his first sermon on April 1, 1955.
Thanks to an inspired architect, a faithful building committee and both prayer and financial support from the whole congregation, the church was built. Ground was broken on September 4, 1955. The first service was held in the new sanctuary on April 15, 1956.
Covenant was the first church in the former Enoree Presbytery to elect a woman officer. Mrs. Wilmot H. (Frankie) Mitchell was elected and ordained as a Deacon in January 1964 and as an Elder in December 1966.
Prepared by Jim and Nancy Biggerstaff
Elders of Covenant Presbyterian Church